I have spent the last 20 years researching and working in a field that helps people live their dreams. By assisting people with creating exciting goals, reducing distractions and aligning beliefs and values, I ultimately help them get to the most important part—achieving their goals.
For my clients the most significant aha! moments often occur when they realize why they have been unable to meet the goals they set out for themselves year after year. The primary reason is that their goals are out of sync with their personal or professional values and beliefs. Understanding this can serve as a catalyst for approaching your personal or professional life planning in a different way—a way that will dramatically increase your success rate.
If your goals often get away from you, then the following 10 steps will be very helpful. This list is based upon challenges my clients have faced and learned from over the years. I know it works, and I am only too happy to share it with you.
The Top 10 Ways to Get What You Want Out of Life!
(a.k.a. 10 Key Considerations for Making Plans and Goals)
- Make sure your goals are actually yours. They cannot come from other people’s expectations or desires.
- Stay out of the past. The present and the future are very important, and the past has already happened. As they say, “It is a new day.”
- Make sure you keep your ideal life clearly in your mind. You need to keep a close comparison of the ideal and your daily life. This is the stuff that keeps you on track.
- Understand clearly what makes you happy.
- Do you know where you want to go in life? This is your life plan. It is really important to have a life plan that resonates deeply with you.
- Make sure you live your life to make your personal or professional plan come to life.
- Are your goals in alignment with your values? Are you clear about what your values are? You need to revisit them regularly to make sure you are moving in the direction you really want.
- Examine your beliefs. Your thoughts become your beliefs. Your beliefs become your behaviour. Your behaviour becomes your actions. Your actions become your life. How about those beliefs? Do you have any that aren’t working for you now? Are they getting in the way of your success?
- Never, never limit your potential. There is very little you can’t do, and even that is debatable. It’s all about alignment.
- Keep your negative thoughts, limiting beliefs and self-sabotaging behaviours under control.
What is your first step, and when are you going to have that completed by?
These action questions should follow any new plans you decide on. You will find the whole process much more invigorating once you have adopted the 10 Key Considerations to Making Plans and Goals.
Please share your success stories about how these simple but effective tools have moved you from frustration to action.
P.S. Want to share this post? Please do. Just be sure that it remains intact and includes the following bio. Thanks!
About Judy: Judy Mackenzie, MBA, CHRP, CEC PCC, owns and operates TEVO Consulting Inc. (www.tevosmallbiz.com), providing services and guidance to small and medium businesses. TEVO’s mission is to assist companies in reaching their strategic goals by developing leadership and people management systems that allow employees to be at their best. Judy believes engaged employees are fundamental to business success, and she designs support and management systems to help people and companies achieve their full potential.